Socrates Baltagiannis is a documentary photographer born (1979) and based in Athens, Greece. Apart from his commissioned work, which often lies between editorial and assignments covering news, humanitarian crisis and current affairs, his personal work is multifaceted, dealing with subject matters not necessarily popular but always with an eye on social issues and how people are affected by society, the environment and vice versa.
Many of his images have been published in prominent newspapers and journals worldwide, such as the Wall Street Journal, Der Spiegel, MSNBC, the Guardian, Courrier International, Internazionale, LePoint, Le Temps, Stern, La Croix, Die Zeit and FAZ among others. He works freelance for dpa (German Press Agency) and from 2015, he has been working closely with organizations such as the UNHCR and IFRC, documenting the refugee crisis in Greece. He is a member of the Chamber of Fine Arts of Greece and a member of the Frontline Freelance Register. On June 2018, he took part at a "Hostile Environment & First Aid Training" hosted by 1st Option safety group.
In 2016, part of his work on the refugee crisis was included in a book published by the Greek office of Rosa Luxemburg Foundation under the name “No Direction Home”.
– 2020. dpa Pictures of the Year 2020 | Second place in News category.
– 2019. Lens Culture Portrait Awards | Finalist.
– 2016. Istanbul Photo Awards, Turkey | Finalist on Single News category.
– 2015. Bursa Photo Festival, Turkey | Award Winning Photos (2nd mention) and Contest Special Award (2nd place) on the theme “Migration”.
– 2015. Prix Pictet Awards – Disorder theme | Nominated for the “Austerity effect” series.
– 2013. Street photography, Athens Southern District | 1st place.
– 2012. PPOTY (Professional Photographer of the Year), UK | Finalist on News Category.
– 2011. Street Life, Photometria Photo Festival, Greece | 3rd people’s choice award.
– 2021. TOLERANCE(S). Athens, Greece.
– 2020. The Athenians. Vamvakou Revival, Vamavkou, Greece.
– 2019. The Athenians. Athens Photo World, Athens, Greece.
– 2019. Eyes of light, Athens, Greece.
– 2018. In Limbo. Addis Foto Fest, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
– 2017. No Direction Home - The Book. Group Exhibition at Box Gallery, Athens, Greece.
– 2016. Medphoto Festival: “Crossings” Exhibition at Rethymno city, Crete island, Greece.
– 2015. Bursa Photo Festival, Turkey.
– 2013. Aegean Experienced: Group Exhibition at Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos”, Greece.
– 2013. Street Photography: 2nd Photo Exhibition of the Southern District of Athens, Greece.
– 2010/13. Annual Black and White Film Group Exhibition at Faos in Athens, Greece.
– 2011. Street Life Group Exhibition at Photometria Photo Festival at Ioannina – Athens – Chania, Greece.