Socrates Baltagiannis is a documentary photographer born (1979) and based in Athens, Greece. Apart from his commissioned work, which often lies between editorial and assignments covering news, humanitarian crisis and current affairs, his personal work is multifaceted, dealing with subject matters not necessarily popular but always with an eye on social issues and how people are affected by society, the environment and vice versa.
Many of his images have been published in prominent newspapers and journals worldwide, such as the Wall Street Journal, Der Spiegel, MSNBC, the Guardian, Courrier International, Internazionale, LePoint, Le Temps, Stern, La Croix, Die Zeit and FAZ among others. He works freelance for dpa (German Press Agency) and from 2015, he has been working closely with organizations such as the UNHCR and IFRC, documenting the refugee crisis in Greece. He is a member of the Chamber of Fine Arts of Greece and a member of the Frontline Freelance Register. On June 2018, he took part at a "Hostile Environment & First Aid Training" hosted by 1st Option safety group.
In 2016, part of his work on the refugee crisis was included in a book published by the Greek office of Rosa Luxemburg Foundation under the name “No Direction Home”.
– 2019 Lens Culture Portrait Awards | Finalist.
– 2016 Istanbul Photo Awards, Turkey | Finalist on Single News category.
– 2015 Bursa Photo Festival, Turkey | Award Winning Photos (2nd mention) and Contest Special Award (2nd place) on the theme “Migration”.
– 2015 Prix Pictet Awards – Disorder theme | Nominated for the “Austerity effect” series.
– 2013 Street photography, Athens Southern District | 1st place.
– 2012 PPOTY(Professional Photographer of theYear), UK | Finalist on News category.
– 2011 Street Life, Photometria Photo Festival, Greece | 3rd people’s choice award.
– 2020 The Athenians. Vamvakou Revival, Vamavkou, Greece.
– 2019 The Athenians. Athens Photo World, Athens, Greece.
– 2019 Eyes of light, Athens, Greece.
– 2018 In Limbo. Addis Foto Fest, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
– 2016 Medphoto Festival: “Crossings” Exhibition at Rethymno city, Crete island, Greece.
– 2015 Bursa Photo Festival, Turkey.
– 2013 Aegean Experienced: Group Exhibition at Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos”, Greece.
– 2013 Street Photography: 2nd Photo Exhibition of the Southern District of Athens, Greece.
–2010-13 Annual Black and White Film Group Exhibition at Faos in Athens, Greece.
– 2011 Street Life Group Exhibition at Photometria Photo Festival at Ioannina – Athens – Chania, Greece.